Best Buy, like many retail companies in the United States, sometimes provides veterans with discounts or other perks. Though the discounts vary from location to location, many Best Buy locations offer a 10 percent discount with a valid military ID,or VA approved ID.
It should be noted this 10 percent discount is not available at all Best Buy locations and you need to ask at your local store whether or not the discount is offered.
The discount, when available, is offered to active, retired, and veteran military members from all branches of service. Dependents might also be eligible to receive a discount.
Best Buy and other stores offer veterans discounts for a few reasons. In its purest form, the discounts are to honor military vets and make their lives easier. Best Buy sells electronic equipment, as well as a variety of household appliances. By offering a discount, they’re able to help veterans get the things they need for their homes and save money on some of the most popular entertainment items available – things they might not enjoy if they had to pay full price.
In addition to honoring veterans and providing them with needed and wanted items at a discount, the program also benefits Best Buy. They show that their company supports the military and wants to do what it can to help vets. This is good for public relations and encourages others who support the military to choose the store over its competitors.
Retail establishments that offer discounts create a mutually beneficial relationship that helps vets and military members, and that also brings business into their stores – a win-win situation for everyone involved.
Some people believe that there are far too few stores that offer military discounts. Considering the number of establishments that offer discounts to seniors and people who are part of other special groups, many believe that veterans should be first in line for perks, even if those perks aren’t significant. The hope is that over time, especially as more stores realize that the Best Buy discount and other discounts are beneficial to all involved, that more stores will offer veterans discounts.
Other than the Best Buy veterans discount, what other stores offer discounts to military and vets?
Several restaurants offer active military members and veterans discounts on dining, every day and for special occasions. Some of the most well-known discounts include:
- Get 10 percent off your entire check at Bennigan’s if you’re an active military member ora veteran
- Enjoy 10 percent off your bill at Bob Evans with a valid veterans ID
- Get 10 percent off at Burger King by showing your military ID
- Enjoy 20 percent off your check at Chevy’s for active, retired, and active duty military members
- Get 10 percent off food and ice creams at Dairy Queen with a valid military ID
- Enjoy 50 cents off per cup of coffee at Dutch Bros Coffee if you’re a veteran
- Some Hardee’s locations give 10 percent off purchases if you tell them you’re a veteran
Several other restaurants offer discounts for active duty and retired military members, including Panda Express, Pizza Hut, and Texas Roadhouse.
The next time you decide to dine out, consider one of these establishments whether you are a military member or not. They’ve shown they support the military and you can let them know you’re happy to spend your money at establishments that offer our armed service members and veterans benefits.
Entertainment and Amusements
In addition to restaurants, there are plenty of entertainment-related businesses that offer discounts to vets and active duty military members. Some of the establishments that have chosen to honor vets with discounts include:
- Carnival Cruise Line offers a free onboard credit for vets that can be used during a cruise
- Dollywood amusement park offers a 30 percent discount on a one-day admission ticket for active and retired military, as well as disabled vets and military reservists. The offer is only good for the person who served and does not extend to family or friends. Learn more about Dollywood’s efforts to honor military members here.
- Knott’s Berry Farm offers free admission to vets on throughout Memorial Day weekend.
- Legoland offers a 10 percent military discount on certain Military Appreciation Days.
- Veterans and military members receive a free annual pass to all National Parks in the United States.
In addition to these specific discounts, many entertainment businesses off various discounts to active duty and retired military members, and veterans that in some cases vary by location. If you are headed to any of the following places, considering contacting them in advance to ask about military and veterans discounts:
- AMC Movie Theaters
- Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown
- Busch Gardens, Tampa, FL
- Camp Jellystone
- PGA of America Events
- Regal Cinemas
- Sea World
- San Diego Zoo
- Six Flags
- Universal Studios
In addition to Best Buy veterans’ discounts, several other retail establishments offer veterans of the military discounts on purchases. Some include:
- Advance Auto Parts
- Auto Accessories Garage.com
- Banana Republic Factory Store
- Bed, Bath, & Beyond
- Big Lots (available on Veterans’ Day)
- Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Kelly’s Auto Parts
- Lowe’s (Available Veteran’s Day, 4th of July, and Memorial Day for vets, and a flat 10 percent discount every day of the year for active duty and retired military. You can learn more about Lowe’s military discount program
- Pottery Barn
In addition to the discounts offered for veterans, there might also be perks available at the following retail establishments for active duty and retired military members:
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Bass Pro Shops
- Eddie Bauer
- Home Depot
- Old Navy
- Payless Shoes
- Sports Authority
- Zales Jewelry
Again, your best bet is to ask about a discount if you’re a veteran. Some retail establishments are willing to extend a discount if you ask, even if it’s not their usual policy.
In addition to the stores and retailers listed above, you should also ask about discounts any time you’re traveling. Many airlines and car rental agencies honor vets with a discount. There might also be discounts available for cell phone service.